Thursday, April 26, 2012

Note from I Samuel pt 7

7. 1 Sam. 1:11

While Hannah was crying and praying to the Lord, she made a vow saying "O LORD Almighty, if you will only look upon your servants misery and remember me and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head."

 So basically she said, Lord I am your servant, if you Remember me and give me 'what I desire most', I will give 'what I desire most' back to you". In essence, "If you give me an 'insurance policy for my future 'or bragging rights to get back at my enemy' I will give it all back to you. '
It would be worth it to know that I have not been forgotten but remembered.' Her prayer alone showed a transfer of trust from man to God.
 She also said that if God gave her a son, she would never cut his hair. This was considered  a Nazirite vow. It showed that the boy/man was set apart to God for His purpose. Do you remember another long haired guy in the Bible? Yep, Samson.
 Hannah had undoubtedly heard stories of this hero and his 'once barren mother'. ( Judges 13) The angel told (Samson's mom) that Although she was unable to have children, God was going to give her one anyway. His hair was never to be cut, which was a public sign of a sacred calling; and he would deliver the nation of Israel from their enemies. Y'all, I believe that Hannah was not only praying for a son, but for a deliverer as well.
 She was drawing faith from the stories of old that she had heard. Stories from other women who were once barren and God had not only given them children, but children who did GREAT things! Women like Sarah, who became the mother of nations and kingdoms thru her son Isaac; Rebekah who became the mother of Jacob (Israel, father of the Jewish nation) and Esau (father of nations); and Samson's mother, who's son became famous for his super human strength and deliverance of God's people.

In the same way, we draw faith from THEIR stories and put our trust in God, who is the SAME yesterday, TODAY and forever.

Stay tuned! Grace and peace

2 comments: