Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Temptation?... RUN!

I find it funny (well not in the comical sense), how the Bible commands us to Pray about everything. Resist the Devil and He will flee. Stand up when you would rather retreat. But when it comes to the cravings of the flesh, temptations...It tells us to Flee! Meaning run in the other direction as fast as you can!
That's exactly what I had to do just a minute ago. You see, like most women, I love Chocolate! :-) But Chocolate does not always love me back. For the past few days, I have been fighting the "seasonal change allergy attack". Dairy products are the enemy when I am trying to rid the body of the "junk in my throat and sinuses" that milk products produce. So, what was I handed as a gift right before I was about to wind down for the night? 3 warm and soft Chocolate chip (with pecans) cookies...my favorites! Oh My Goodness! I have to sing tomorrow...but I soooo want those cookies. It was like they were calling me. As soon as I received them in my hands I took a bite. WOW! My "will power" was losing the match. I stated that I was not going to eat anymore until after I had sung the next day...yeah right! 


 Knowing how much I wanted those cookies and How much I shouldn't have them, I decided to 'flee temptation' by turning them over to my sister girl. I asked her to babysit them for me until after the singing. Because she was embracing the "call of the cookies"herself, I reminded her that I did not want them adopted! They needed to be returned to sender after the songs were over :-).


Y'all, I find that's how it is with other cravings of the flesh. We can't play around with them...or him...or her...or it. We have got to take the 'way of escape' that God promises us in every temptation. In that way, we are able to bear it. We can't flirt with it, negotiate with it, sweet talk it or even sing pretty songs to it. We must be obedient to the Word and run from it...really fast! And if the time is right and the Lord wills, what was once a temptation, may soon become a blessing.

2 comments:

  1. I've learned a lesson in playing with temptations...I've realized its much better to RUN than to think I can resist it. Thanks for the reminder of that lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not resisting temptation almost always causes some form of pain. And not being able to recognize temptation (denial) is a setup. So why is it so hard to just turn away?

    ReplyDelete